The following minimum admission criteria are applicable:
- Academic qualifications: A three-year Bachelor’s degree or advanced diploma at NQF level 7, or higher.
- School-leaving mathematics on Level C
- Work experience: A minimum of two years of relevant full-time work experience (preferably at a managerial level).
- Selection test: The SHL selection test for Numeric, Verbal and Inductive Reasoning and the Occupational Personality Questionnaire (OPQ) on behavioural preferences. This test is done online (see below).
- Additional documentation: A comprehensive CV indicating your work experience.
- Highly recommended: Mathematics at NNS (Grade 12) level or equivalent; proficiency in English.
More about the SHL
The SHL consists of a verbal critical reasoning assessment, a numerical critical reasoning assessment, an inductive reasoning test and Occupational Personality Questionnaire (OPQ) which specifically focuses on behavioural preferences. The test takes about three hours to complete and no preparation is required beforehand.
- When and where: The SHL test is done online from wherever you have internet access. Once you have paid your SHL fees, you will be sent a link to do the test. To arrange this, please send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call USB on 021 918 4239.
- Cost: R3 150 (2018). You can only take the SHL test once you have started your electronic application process because you will need a provisional student number for payments and for SHL reports (which will be linked to your R4 150 (R3 150 SHL test + R1 000 PGD in Business Management and Administration application fee). Please see bank details below and use your provisional student number as reference.
- Additional information: Go to www.shldirect.com
USB's bank details
- Standard Bank
- Type of account: cheque account
- Account number: 073003069
- Branch name: Stellenbosch
- Branch code: 050610
- SWIFT code: SBZAZAJJ
- Proof of payment of your application fee can also be e-mailed to email@example.com.
|SHL selection test|||
|Verbal critical reasoning |
|Numerical critical reasoning assessment|
|Inductive reasoning test||Occupational Personality Questionnaire (OPQ)|
Assessment and Recognition of Prior Learning
USB provides wider access to its programmes through its Assessment and Recognition of Prior Learning (ARPL) process. In line with the requirements of the Council for Higher Education (CHE), USB may admit up to 10% of its student body under ARPL.
In order to be admitted to a Postgraduate Diploma at USB, candidates should be in possession of a relevant degree or National Diploma at NQF level 7.
Candidates who wish to be admitted under the ARPL policy will firstly have to submit all the documentation and tests as required for all prospective students. In addition, prospective students applying for a Postgraduate Diploma at USB have to adhere to the following:
- Have at least an NQF 4 qualification.
- Have at least TEN years of working experience after obtaining a school leaving certificate, of which at least FIVE years should have been in a management or related professional position.
- Submit a comprehensive CV, indicating detailed areas of responsibility as well as information of activities outside the work environment.
- Provide USB with at least two references (typically current or former line heads) who can testify about the candidate's managerial or related professional abilities. These references will be required to give a detailed personal reference about the candidate on forms provided by USB.
- Next, USB's Admissions Committee (head of the programme and another academic) will conduct an in-depth interview with the candidate.
- If the Committee is of the opinion that the candidate has the abilities to cope with the demands of the Postgraduate Diploma, he/she may be admitted.
- A recommendation of admission is sent via USB's Academic Planning Committee to the Board of the Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences for notification.
- Note that ARPL candidates need to apply by 30 October each year to allow sufficient time for the assessment process.