Apply for an MBA
Applications for all MBA options have closed. These programmes are now fully subscribed.
Write three essays
Write an essay of approximately 250 words on each of the following topics (and include all three essays in one document):
Competencies: Your achievements, developed abilities and significant learning to date, and areas of competence that you still need to develop.
Career objectives: Where would you like to be five and ten years after completing your MBA and how do you intend getting there?
Personal motivation: How do you deal with adversity and stress, what keeps you motivated and focused, and how do you intend coping with the additional stress that the MBA will create?
HOW THE ONLINE APPLICATION PROCESS WORKS
Before you start
- You will be able to complete the form in steps without losing information.
- The online application form consists of various sections. In order to process to the next section, all the information in the current section must be completed and accepted by the information management system.
- The application process is the same for South African and foreign students.
- It is best to use Google Chrome as web browser when completing your application.
To find out whether you qualify for USB's MBA, please check the NQF levels of your previous qualifications with the academic institution(s) where you have studied or go to the SAQA website.
The application process
Go to www.USB.ac.za/apply and complete the online MBA application form by completing each of the following sections:
Section 1: Personal details
Section 2: Address details
Section 3: Work and studies
Section 4: Marketing
Section 5: Documentation
Upload the following supporting documentation:
- Proof of payment of your application fee and SHL fee with your student number as reference (see banking details in Section 6: Payment below)
- Comprehensive CV
- 3 essays of 250 words each (in one document)
- Certified copies of degree certificates (if not available, obtain the certificates from the academic institution where you have studied)
- Certified copies of academic transcripts, records, marks or results (if not available, obtain the transcripts from the academic institution where you have studied)
- Matric certificate or school-leaving certificate, indicating Mathematics results (if not available, obtain this certificate from the academic institution where you have studied)
- SHL or GMAT selection test results (if these were not sent to USB directly)
- Certified copy of your ID (or passport for non-South African students)
- A marriage certificate (where the applicant's new surname does not match the surname on the degree certificates)
Section 6: Payment
You need to pay your application fee and selection test fee.
- Application fee: Bank: Standard Bank; Type of account: cheque account; Account name: US Business School; Account number: 073003069; Branch name: Stellenbosch; Branch code: 050610; Beneficiary name: Stellenbosch University; SWIFT code: SBZAZAJJ. Cheques made out to: Stellenbosch University. Proof of payment of your application fee and SHL fee should be e-mailed to the cashier at email@example.com.
- Selection test fee: USB accepts both the SHL and GMAT selection tests. Both tests are recognised internationally. (However, USB only offers the SHL selection test. If you want to do the GMAT, you need to organise this yourself.) Arrange your online SHL selection test by sending e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or arrange your GMAT test by contacting GMAT at www.mba.com. See www.usb.ac.za/MBA for selection test fees and other details. (The SHL selection test is done without supervision although random security tests will be required.)
Section 7: Status
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
Your application can only be assessed by the selection panel if it is accompanied by your completed online application form, all the supporting documents, proof of your application fee payment, and your completed selection test. The outcome of the selection process will be made known within 30 days or as soon as possible thereafter.